We met with John from Shelter Architecture earlier this week. He explained his proposal in a little more detail. The whole idea seems quite intriguing. Tim and I would get a house in a box AT COST in exchange for being the guinea pigs for the product. The "house in the box" part means the entire home would arrive in a shipping
container. Basically, when it arrives we would just need to "unpack" and then move in. Everything could be included, down to the LED lights, composting toilet, potato-ware (you know, instead of silverware), linens, the works. Tim and I would need to prepare the site, ideally just the foundation and driveway, and that's it. Unfortunately, since the property is in Olmsted county, we may also need to install septic, well and hook up to utilities; but the house itself wouldn't require to be on any of these grids. After speaking with John, the homework Tim and I will be working on
over the next several months is financing (not many banks will be willing to risk something so unique) and learn more about applying for variances from the county so we can avoid putting in a well, septic, and hooking up to utilities. John's homework (along with his team of ~25 people currently on this project) is to continue designing and researching. Several weeks ago Tim and I received these pictures from John, not quite what we'll end up with but you get the idea.