Sunday afternoon we spent picking grapes, digging potatoes, and socializing. A friend we met through Prairie Smoke (a group of prairie enthusiasts) grows and sells produce in a few local markets and she hosted a harvest party to help close the season. We helped with a few big jobs she needed to be done and otherwise wandered around and picked anything else we had a need for. Afterwards, she made a fabulous dinner using all her own produce, and a couple local chickens.
I wish I had the camera along, CW was adorable scratching through the dirt "treasure hunting" with his friends Sylvia and Armin. The kids' job was to find the potatoes and put them in the box. Even better was when we crawled under the grape arbor - it was like being in a secret forest surrounded by clumps of grapes. He watched a few moments then started picking the clumps he could reach. He was such a helper! When there was no more for him to reach, I would pick and then hand it to him to put in the tray. I was surprised how long this actually held his interest.