Early June we tackled potty training and within days Conrad was wearing big boy underwear by day, pullups by night. We had a couple accidents (to be expected) and most mornings his pullups were wet but it was a surprisingly easy transition. My confession, I bribed him. Between the Thomas the Train underwear and the Alphabet Train book we would read during potty times, even the expression "potty TRAIN" is it any wonder I had trains on the mind? That first week I casually mentioned riding a train once he was all potty trained and boy did he hold on to that. It took me by surprise how quickly the whole potty training thing goes and I felt terrible when he was doing so great and the soonest I could arrange a weekend trip was mid-July. He seemed to accept that he had to wait 6 weeks ("a really long time") but when we would ride the train, we would take it to chicago, see animals in the zoo, visit Uncle Brian and Aunt Sarah. He started singing a potty train/I ride the train song nearly daily for me.

Six weeks went by quickly (of course, it's summer in MN. This season always goes quickly) and last Saturday we boarded the train. We arrived in Chicago a bit late (train was running about 4 hours behind) but early enough to walk to Oz Park, explore a really cool playground, and then find some Italian ice treats before bed. The next morning we picked up bagels and coffee and then went to Lincoln Park Zoo (all conveniently just blocks from my brother's house). After the zoo, lunch, and some quiet time, we walked the beach (also walking distance) and then walked through the conservatory. I was exhausted by this time, since before mentioned quiet time never resulted in a nap. I'm used to spending entire days with Conrad and all, but two days of constant moving and exploring and the stress of riding a train for the first time, alone with a 2 year old no less was really wiping me out. Brian built a fire and we spent the evening chatting and watching the flames. Never even got around to the s'mores (that would have required getting up).

Monday morning Brian and Sarah were back to work. I gave Conrad a few options, including checking out the Children's Nature Museum (also in walking distance - they live in such a great area!!) but he wanted to re-visit a few of his favorite animals at the zoo. And re-visit the playground he saw Saturday night. And that brought us to lunch time followed by train time again. Not surprisingly, CW was not interested in napping. By 5:30pm however, he could no longer fight his exhaustion and fell asleep for two hours. Ahhh. I did wake him at 7:30pm so he wouldn't miss the last part of his train adventure and seeing his dad from the train window. We picked up some dinner and the potty trained train adventurer was back asleep before we even hit the interstate.