
In November it finally was cold enough to keep us inside most mornings. Our transition into "homeschooling" was pretty non-official. There wasn't a set start date, we don't follow a rigid schedule or curriculum. I'm sure we'll move into some of that as Conrad gets older, but for this year I'm content with lots and lots of reading, and encouraging his natural curiosity. He likes math, so I did purchase a math curriculum. He also asks to "do science" frequently. I had picked up a couple books from the homeschool conference that have been helpful resources for fun and easy projects for preschoolers.
Since he has had such an interest in crafts and art, I also found an art book geared to young children (4-6 year olds)with activities to create art and learn about basic art concepts and techniques. In the first picture, he's playing with one idea from the book. We explored different lines that could be created using pen/pencil. Then added food coloring to a couple glue bottles and attempted to create some of those lines with the glue. One of the bottles kind of exploded on him so we moved to playing with q-tips in the glue. When we were finished for the day, we put the card board/glue creations up to dry and a few days later we took them down to make foil impressions.
Since he has had such an interest in crafts and art, I also found an art book geared to young children (4-6 year olds)with activities to create art and learn about basic art concepts and techniques. In the first picture, he's playing with one idea from the book. We explored different lines that could be created using pen/pencil. Then added food coloring to a couple glue bottles and attempted to create some of those lines with the glue. One of the bottles kind of exploded on him so we moved to playing with q-tips in the glue. When we were finished for the day, we put the card board/glue creations up to dry and a few days later we took them down to make foil impressions.
The next picture is a "Science Friday." Fridays work well to play with science since I don't need to worry about time and getting to work. We're filling a balloon ...without blowing. Pretty cool, eh?
In this other picture, he's painting a party favor he received from a friend's b-day party. He was the only boy at the party so when all the little girls got princess stuff, he got a dinosaur to take home and paint. :)
Some mornings I let him loose to entertain himself. Behold, the "candy cane bottle". Have I mentioned yet how much this child loves tape?? There was an empty white bottle in our science box so he decided to decorate it and then fill it with water to take outside and experiment.


