Another advantage of working second shift is sharing two meals a day with my kids, instead of one. Sure, it's more meal prep and more dishes, but some days the meal time conversations are priceless. Like today.
First imagine a bagel with strawberry creamcheese. Now nibble a straight line across one 'edge', leaving the hole intact. Insert thumb through hole
"look mama, it's like a face. With pointy hair." (nibbled line represents hair, not sure if the finger is the nose or the tongue sticking out?)
Me - "oh really? Look at that!" as I sip tea and give Norrie some more bread.
Conrad - "No, it's more like a colossal squid." Hmmm...He totally has my attention now.
"It's red and has one eye, just like a colossal squid. And know what else momma? The eye on the colossal squid is as big as a basketball and they have two cutting long arms, and then small arms that don't have cutting things. The squid is so strong it can trap a whale, a black and white whale."
Okay. That was interesting. When I got to work this afternoon I googled colossal squid, to see how accurate he had been.
Lunchtime menu: ham and bean soup, toast with butter. As far as I know, CW has never had this before, but of course he takes one look and says, "EW! I don't like!". Whatever happened to my kid that would eat anything, and tell other kids at daycare to at least taste everything on their plate?? So sticking with our house rules, he has to at least taste it. One bite, ew, doesn't like it. But then he requests ketchup. Shudder. But you know what, why not? Sure enough, he puts it right into his bowl mixes it up and takes another taste. Would you believe he ate all of it? Then declares " I liked it more than I don't like it, so I ate it all momma. What's for dessert?"
It's dinner time now - I wonder what Tim and Conrad are discussing tonight?