Monday, April 9, 2012

April - half over?

The kids and I have been busy - inside on those brrrrr cold days and outside on those lovely warm days. I rather like the changing weather. We're even using it for learning ASL AND learning math . Nearly every morning we assess the weather, use our signs to describe it, and then record it on a calendar. At the end of the month we'll compile our data and create a chart of some sort.






inside fun: painting (by the way, that's morris the moose he's painting, in the circus when he's a clown. That's why he has an umbrella.)






We also whipped some cream into ...whipped cream. Conrad thought that was amazing - more science to eat! Most of it though we plopped out on a tray for Norrie to explore and started adding food coloring to see how colors would form and mix.







Outside fun: kites of course, it's spring time and windy! Too windy some days though, especially the day mommy had to sprint across the bean field to tackle the kite after it snapped from its line. Not fun. I don't like running in general, and on this particular day I had my slippers on. Slip on slippers. Not very easy to run in. So I'm running, CW is picking up what I drop (first the kite line, then my coat - I was getting very warm and besides, it was just weighing me down), and Norrie is standing abandoned in the middle of the field crying. I finally caught up to the kite and after recovery limped back to the kids. Conrad was so sweet, comforting his sister. When he noticed me with kite in arm he lit up. I was totally his hero that morning. Can I bottle that up?








More otuside fun: playing with the newly set up sand table and picking dandelions. I hope he doesn't do that on the soccer field when he starts next week. Notice he's sporting the new gear? Very excited little dude.

























And back inside - working on his plaster block, mining for crystals.









And waiting for his turtle to hatch. Fake turtle, from QH. This picture was taken on day 2. It's day four today and he's still waiting. I'm impressed with his patience. I thought by now he would have reached in the water and squeezed the egg shell to pieces.