Friday, March 28, 2008

Everything I want to do is Illegal

I stumbled across this book (Everything I want to do is Illegal) by Joel Salatin a few weeks ago. Quite interesting, easy to read and entertaining to boot. If you are at all interested in the food you eat, this book may be worth checking out. He also has written "Holy Cows and Hog Heaven" (just finished reading it!) and "Salad Bar Beef" (starting next).

The timing of discovering these books coincided perfectly with our latest topic in JustFaith - global poverty. Two weeks ago we watched a video titled "Global Banquet: Politics of Food". In short, it examines the globalization of food. A great description of the film can be found on the Old Dogs Documentaries website (http://www.olddogdocumentaries.com/index.htm).

Several weeks ago, a local farmer submitted a op-ed piece to the NYTimes. It's titled "My Forbidden Fruits (and vegetables)" It's worth a read - check it out at.. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/01/opinion/01hedin.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=My+Forbidden+Fruits+%28and+vegetables%29&st=nyt&oref=slogin&oref=slogin